Friday, June 29, 2007
what got me thinking about it was something that happened this morning. i had asked nani to take a shower after she made her bed. she went into the bathroom and came back out all ready to get in and asked me to turn on the shower for her. i reminded her that she knew how to turn it on (it is a bathtub shower so you have to turn on the water and then pull up on the little knob on the faucet to route the water up through the shower head). she began to whine that it was too hard for her to pull up on the knob and that she wanted me to do it. again, i reassured her that she could do it and that if it was hard for her all she needed to do was practice. more whining from nani. while all of this was taking place, lala, unbeknownst to us, had gone into the bathroom, turned on the water and pulled the knob up to get the water flowing through the shower head. she went back into her room and started playing again with her bristol blocks. i looked at her amazed and she said, "it's because i knowed how to do it!"
so, the three year old just went and did it, while the six year old "needed" mommie to do it. i think it is because nani is the first child and we did a lot more for her when she was little and so she has come to expect more from us. lala, on the other hand, has a big sister and hasn't had that one-on-one help like nani got at her age. so, in that aspect it is the parenting. however, nani is cautious and thoughtful, whereas lala is independent and curious, which would be a personality difference.
i love the girls and their differences, though it does lead to a bit of frustration at times and a need for some creativity when parenting. what works for nani does not always work for lala and vice versa. it definitely keeps us on our toes! it will be interesting to see what type of personality kawena brings into the mixture!
Thursday, June 28, 2007
one of nani's favorite places to play is in the water exhibit. they have boots and aprons for the kids to wear and they can learn how water works as they play and splash around in the water. as you can see in this picture she watching the water spiral around as she pours it out of the watering can.
Wednesday, June 27, 2007
i told her a story of when my older brother and i (we were like 8 and 11 years old) had seen these "his and hers" watches on tv, the kind with the digital hands. well, we thought they were the coolest things and we had to have them. so, we called in and ordered a pair, paying by c.o.d. (do you remember back when we could do those?) when they arrived we were so excited and we gave the delivery guy our cash and we were just happy as can be. they were totally cheap and were broken within a week!
well, the combination of our lack of sleep and the very late, or i guess i should say very early, hour sent us over the edge. we were laughing so hard we were crying at this silly story that wasn't even really all that funny! i love it when that happens, our faces were streaming with tears and we couldn't even stop laughing long enough to talk which made us even laugh/cry harder! when we finally gained some composure our stomachs were hurting and we just had to let out a big sigh and catch our breath! and then wonder, "why was that so funny??!!"
anyway, i came across this adorable picture of her with kawena and it made me think back to that trip and how much i wish we lived closer so we could have more nights like that! i love my sister so much! she is such a sweetheart. she is such a great example of genuine kindness and love. i wish a had more of her sweetness in me.
malia, miss you, love you and wish you were here. can't wait to see you in july! yea!
Tuesday, June 26, 2007
however, she had a little scare this afternoon. one of her friends, A, jumped into the pool where it was a little too deep for her and nani was near by. i think A panicked. she grabbed onto nani to try to pull herself up, but all she really was doing was pulling nani down. luckily, one of the ladies laying out on the pool deck saw this as it unfolded. she acted quickly and jumped in pulling A off of nani. nani was a little shaken but after taking a little break on the steps she was back out in the water playing again.
kawena looked so cute in her little swimsuit. i love babies in swimsuits, so adorable, and her little sun hat was too cute! all in all it was a great day at the pool! love the tongue baby girl!
when we got home the girls ran around the yard in their suits eating shrek push-ups and spraying each other with the hose. i love warm sunny days and spending time outdoors with our girls!
- i am the first daughter and second child of four. i have 2 brothers and 1 sister. i always wanted more siblings
- my dad is filipino, hawaiian, chinese; my mom is from idaho. people always laugh when i tell them this
- my dad is 3 inches shorter than my mom and i don't think it's weird, but when i see other couples where the husband is shorter than the wife, i think it's odd
- i am 5' 7", but have always wanted to be taller
- i like things to be organized and for everything to have its own place
- i don't like to be late, but have found that i will be as long as i have children at home
- i am the mother of 3 beautiful girls and still can't believe i am old enough to be the mother of 3
- i want to learn to play the guitar and the piano
- i wish that i loved to run
- i love sundays because that's when mitch cooks
- i am a triathlete
- i love the smell of grapefruit hand soap from bath and body works, it's so refreshing
- i'm a good listener
- i have a testimony of Jesus Christ
- i have to sleep with my hair in a ponytail
- i am the only one of my siblings who didn't marry someone from california
- no matter how hot it is i have to have a sheet over me when i sleep
- i am the only sibling that does not surf
- i am an excellent swimmer and love to swim, but have a horrible fear of waves that i wish i could get over
- i ran a marathon in alaska and it hurt
- when i was a little girl my brother and i crashed our dad's friend's car into a restaurant. we were parked on a hill outside my dad's work and gavan released the emergency brake. i was perfectly innocent. boy were we in BIG trouble.
- sometimes i suffer from insomnia (like right now), it drives me crazy
- i have great pregnancies and actually love being pregnant until about the last month or two, then i'm uncomfortable
- i gave birth to all 3 of our girls without any drugs and wouldn't have it any other way
- i wish i could sleep in late every morning
- i wish i lived closer to my family and hope to very soon
- i love to lift weights, i feel so strong afterwards
- some of my nicknames have been: haners botters, hina, mango toes, pocahantas, hermana typewriter, haners, mahi mahi
- i got married in 1999 to my best friend
- i'm whiter than i've ever been
- i like to be tan
- i want to have at least one son, hopefully 2
- i was the first one in my family to get a college degree
- i served a mission in san antonio, texas and spoke spanish
- i went to byu-hawaii and loved it
- i love to bungee jump
- i want to sky-dive
- i was a contestant in the miss byu-hawaii pageant and i won the speech contest and the modeling contest
- in the winter i always have to wear socks to bed
- i swam with turtles
- i get sea sick and wish i didn't
- i love roller coasters, but blacked out once on a ride on senior ditch day at magic mountain and i still love them
- we just bought a fifth wheel and i can't wait to take a trip. i love to see how incredibly excited the girls are about the fifth wheel
- i never thought i'd own an rv
- we are taking an 8 week sabbatical in two weeks and i am beyond myself with joy. i can't yet imagine what it will be like to be able to travel for longer than a week without having to rush back home so that mitch can get back to work
- i don't like to shave my legs
- i love to drink water
- i moved 6 times before i graduated high school, but stayed in the same city, the same schools, and the same ward
- we named our houses; the red house, the yellow house, the green house, the white house, the flora house
- i grew up in newport beach, ca
- my first car was orange and i loved it
- i wanted to get a bellybutton ring, but didn't. thank goodness!
- my second toe is longer than my first toe
- i have impossibly wide feet that are hard to find shoes for
- i love to watch lala's facial expressions while she is talking
- my favorite restaurant is macaroni grill. that was mitch's and my first date. i drew a portrait of my family for him on the table with crayons.
- my favorite fast food is in 'n out burger
- i love ketchup
- my new favorite flower is a hydrangea, we have blue ones and pink ones blooming right now in our back yard. beautiful
- i am addicted to blogging and love the connection i have with all of you
- i want to learn to dance the salsa, the tango, and the swing, but i am not very coordinated
- when i was in 7th grade i got pantsed in foods class and i got sent to the principal's office, i still don't understand why i got sent to the office
- i took modeling classes in junior high school and have walked the catwalk
- i want a blue eyed baby, but i doubt i'll get one
- i want to take a trip to fiji with no kids, just me and mitch
- i don't like to clean, but love a clean house
- i've never cooked thanksgiving dinner
- i love watching as nani becomes more independent and more responsible
- i miss my sister and wish we lived closer
- i love sunday naps
- i love that my husband thinks i'm funny
- i love that i have 3 girls and look forward to girls nights out when we are older
- i love to take pictures and want to be a better photographer
- when playing games i am highly competitive
- i went scuba diving on our honeymoon in cancun and loved it, didn't love throwing up all over the boat once we surfaced. that was embarrassing. thank goodness mitch didn't get a picture of that!
- we don't own a television and haven't since we've been married. don't really miss it
- i love listening to my girls play happily together and to hear them laughing together
- i am always amazed at the simple innocence of my children and wish i could be like that still
- i love being home with my kids and am so grateful that i can be
- i still think i am 21, maybe 22
- i've never been back east, but would love to go someday
- i love to hear my girls sing
- it breaks my heart when my girls are sad
- i love costco
- i'm easily intimidated
- i'm a perfectionist, but mitch is helping me to relax some
- i have a new found love for dark chocolate, midnight milky ways are heavenly
- i don't like clutter
- when i was pregnant with nani i chopped off and donated 19 inches of my hair to locks of love
- most of our furniture has been given to us by friends and family who don't want theirs anymore. one day i dream of actually picking out the furniture we have in our home
- i don't like getting older
- if i have driven somewhere once, i can always find it again
- i do not like being in front of a group of people, i am a behind the scenes kind of person
- i love white water rafting
- i miss rock climbing with mitch
- i look forward to serve several missions with mitch when we are older
- i wish i had a better sense of style when it comes to clothing and decorating
- i love getting advice and ideas from other people
- i only dated mitch for 6 weeks before getting engaged. i swore i would never do that.
- i love my life!
phew! that was harder than i thought. well, actually i thought it would be hard and it was, but it was fun digging into the recesses of my mind to come up with 100 things about me. now, let's see your 100!
Monday, June 25, 2007
Sunday, June 24, 2007
yup, we have moved into a new stage in the life of kawena and the girls are learning pretty quickly that if they leave something of value on the floor it will get crumpled up, slobbered on, or just plain ruined! apparently, they are not learning fast enough! there have been some tears shed as a result of the littlest mason girl.
she is very quick these days and i believe she is loving this new found freedom! she loves taking laps around the couch, pausing only to look at a book or two as she passes the bookcase and maybe stopping again to suck on some plastic food in the play kitchen or a doll from the dollhouse. another favorite place of hers is under the desk playing with the cables to the computer. bad! i have seen mitch many times sitting at the computer working away while surrounded by a couch cushion barracade in an attempt to keep the baby out from under the desk! it's quite a sight, let me tell ya!
here is a glimpse of our little one in action.
she's quick, and i'm afraid she is only getting quicker. watch out!
Saturday, June 23, 2007
Friday, June 22, 2007
"mommie i singed, 'when the tree breaks, i love you and you love me. but i don't know if you love me, but i am concerned for you that you will roll off the couch.' and when i singed that the baby falled asleep."
Tuesday, June 19, 2007
we'll keep you post on our many rv adventures!
Monday, June 18, 2007
here are logan and lala getting ready for church. i love this shot from behind with the reflection in the mirror and the two of them sharing the stool. they were so cute together and got along really well.
as soon as we arrived we claimed our bedrooms, dumped our stuff, and broke out the snacks!! chatting and eating we lost track of the time and realized at 7pm that it was 7pm and we hadn't eaten dinner. so, we set out in search of some good seafood, since we were at the sea. while we were waiting we decided to do some shopping, only to find out that most of the stores had closed at 7pm. bummer! we opted to go take some photos at the beach instead.
ready... set.... run, rachael, run!
we finally made it to dinner and chowed down on seafood and some more great conversation. we made our way back to the hotel just before 10 pm and unanimously agreed that we needed to relax in the hot tub, only to find out that the pool area closed at 10 pm! bummer, again! our timing was terrible!! we were all dressed in our swimsuits with nowhere to go, so we got in our pj's and stayed up until 3:30am talking! yup! you read that right, 3:30am!
it was such a wonderfully, relaxing time with friends! exhausting, yes, but a good kind of exhausting! there was at least a few times during the wee hours of the morning when we were a bit slap happy due to the lack of sleep, but that just made it all the more comical! we made some awesome memories!
quotable quotes and fun memories
- "i'm sending a live lobster to my father-in-law for father's day." "does he like lobster?" "i don't know?!"
- "isn't there another less painful way to kill a lobster?" "here, let me give you a lethal injection. it will just sting a little!" "hammer?!" "gun?!"
- "no glove, no love!"
- "your baby is crying! oh wait, we don't have any babies here!"
- "she's being a cow right now"
- "what do you have in your uterus?!"
- "you want to see our cheeks?"
- "we have jacuzzi tubs in our room." "yea! we could take turns, we each get 5 minutes!"
- "i just figured out we have 30 kids between the 8 of us!" (actually, i think it is only 27???)
- "will you be my valentine? -from Lester"
- "we could have just stayed in the motel 6 in beaverton."
- "is that all of your milk bottles in the fridge?"
- "how do you donate your body to be a cadaver?"
- belly button rings and bikinis -- oh la la!
- rachael, always remember to remove the applicator!
- if your a vegetarian it is difficult to breath through dinner in a seafood restaurant! sorry juliana!
- the roadkill racoon in the bishop's freezer, which he stealthily removed from the road to make a coon hat.
- nathan's uncle stopping the family caravan everytime they passed roadkill so he could look at it.
- unknowingly camping next to a dead horse, only to wake up to vultures circling
- "he would have brought it home if he could" (the dead bear)
- "you don't even move when you sleep!"
- hoarding bridget's quarters
- heidi is the "go-to-girl" what doesn't she know?
- nylons anyone?
- eye shaped pancakes
- "....school." "what was that about schools?"
- "do you know what this means? i don't have to wash my hair for 3 or 4 days!" (or was it "2 or 3"?)
- "i wanted to have a pig, but then i smelled them."
- "so, they were going to butcher the pig and they shot it in the head. the pig shook its head and ran away!"
- going hunting on a double date! sound like fun?
- while engaged showing your sisters positive pregnancy test to your mom pretending it is yours.
- chocolate covered cottonballs, chocolate covered kids chewed up gum.
man, this is a long list, but it doesn't even touch half of what we talked about!! i wish i could remember it all, but this will help me to always remember what a blast we had this weekend! thanks ladies for an excellent night away! and thanks to all the husbands for watching the kids!
Thursday, June 14, 2007
well, this morning the girls wanted to show me something outside. so, they took me out to the back deck and there just off the back steps into our yard the nest had fallen from the waterspout. it was so sad! there were 4 dead baby birds laying around the nest. they were so new they didn't even have feathers on them yet. it made me want to cry! the girls explained to me that it had fallen the night before. they had been playing in the the backyard and the nest was up on the waterspout. they went inside to get something and when they came back out the birds and the nest were there on the ground.
i mentioned how sad i felt for the birds and pointed out how sad the mommie bird must be to have lost all four of her babies. then nani said, "yea! just like mary was when Jesus died!" how tender is that?! oh how i love our nani! she is so sweet and thoughtful! she has such a tender heart and a pure testimony of Jesus Christ!
Wednesday, June 13, 2007
before the facial began, the facialist (is that what they are called? or am i just making that up?) told me that for the most part it would be a relaxing facial, however there was a part of the cleansing process that would "tingle". she told me that that is what i wanted it to do because it meant it was doing what it was supposed to. okay?!
she begins by alternatingly rubbing "product" on my face then wrapping my face in warm towels, and repeating this process. everything is going well and i am feeling very relaxed as she massages my face and neck and shoulders. then i hear this hissing sound. i think, "hmm that's odd." then i feel this mist being blown onto my face. it has a very strong smell that hurts when i breath it in. as i'm taking shallow breaths i'm thinking, "i sure hope this doesn't last long, i need to breath!" the hissing stops and gratefully i inhale deeply. then my face starts to "tingle" and i'm thinking, "oh good! that's what she said i wanted it to do." but then the tingle turns into a slow burn. while my face feels like it is on fire, she is massaging my scalp and neck. i think she does this to distract me, unsuccessfully, from my burning face. not soon enough, she rubs the burn from my face and i instantly feel it cool off. she does this only one more time and the rest of the facial i am able to relax!
i loved the cleansing and the masque, the massaging and the rubbing, but i could have done without the "nostril burning fire mist". but in all honesty, i think my face seems more refreshed now and not so tired looking. and in the end i would do it again if given the option!
i must say thanks to my awesome husband and my dear, sweet mom for this week of pampering! last october for my birthday they both gave me a day at the spa in the form of a gift card. they thought it would be the perfect gift for an 8 month pregnant mom. and it was! so, on my actual birthday (the 6th) i got a wonderfully relaxing pre-natal massage. however, kawena was born a week later (3 weeks early) so the rest of my spa day had to be postponed, and i am just now finishing the last of it. so, thank you , thank you , thank you for a taste of the pampered life!! i love you mitch and mom!
Tuesday, June 12, 2007
Monday, June 11, 2007
i get into my own private little room at the spa and i strip down to my bare nudies and climb under a towel. then erika, my personal chocolate papaya mud wrapper, spreads mud infused with papaya and chocolate all over my body. then, as she asks, "you're not claustrophobic are you?" she wraps me up like a butterfly in a cacoon. as i lay there, listening to sounds of nature and feeling my body get all warm an toasty, she massages my scalp and face for about 20 minutes. by this time i am feeling like a warm, chocolate noodle getting baked in the oven. i seriously smell like a freshly baked brownie, no joke!!
next, she takes me into this amazing shower with 5 different kinds of shower heads (there was a waterfall faucet thingy, a rainshower and three others shooting out at me) and asks me to rinse off. i've decided that in our next home i want a shower like this!! i then go back into my spa room where she massages shea butter into my skin to "replace the moisture".
talk about calgon taking me away!! wow! to finish it off they had a dark chocolate truffle waiting for me when i was done! i know who's sleeping well tonight!!
Sunday, June 10, 2007
so, here it is girls!
Friday, June 08, 2007
for the past few weeks she has slowly been eliminating her nighttime feeding. in the past week or so she has been sleeping 9-10 hours at night, but last night was the first 12 hour night she's had! i am so excited! now, i just need to go to bed earlier so i can enjoy a full nights rest! that's the hard part!
note: still no teeth! ahhh! she is doing much better, though. no more moaning, miserable days, just minor grumps every once in awhile! i can see her pearly whites just barely under her skin!
Thursday, June 07, 2007
and here she is showing me her doggie treat (aka grape):
my puppy is teaching me how to speak "puppy". i will share what i have learned so far today. my puppy will say:
- "when i do this, 'ha' (pant once), it means i want to play!"
- "when i do this, 'bark', it means i can't get in."
- "when i do this, 'haha' (pant twice) it means look at me."
- "when i do this, 'ruff ruff', it means i got hurt."
- "when i do this 'hahaha' (pant three times), it means i am stuck."
she is a very smart puppy and i am sure glad i bought her today and brought her home to live with us! won't nani be thrilled when she gets home from school!
Wednesday, June 06, 2007
Tuesday, June 05, 2007
me: "did you guys hear the thunder?"
me: "did it scare you?"
lala: "no, it didn't scare us. but it gave us the..." long pause, "it gave us the...what did it give us nani?"
nani: "it gave us the creeps!"
so, this morning lala said she heard thunder again (i must have slept right through it because i didn't hear anything). she said, "it gave me the CREEKS again!" stiffling my laughter, i asked what it feels like when you get "the creeks". she got her best thoughtful face, which i absolutely love, and then she said, "well, (pronounced whale) it feels like a bad guy is coming into the house!" hmmmmm, very interesting!
Monday, June 04, 2007
she love to make this "o" face and breath out as she is doing it. it is very curious!
bathtime is always a funtime! splash, splash!
she loves to stick her tongue out like this a lot! i love to poke at it because she thinks it is so funny!
she managed to get baby food and bananas on practically ever inch of her face!
look at me i'm standing!
our poor girl is teething and is miserable! she doesn't want to eat and even when i nurse her i can tell she is hurting and uncomfortable. her gums are all swollen and i can see the teeth showing white under her skin. she's got snot flowing (sometimes flying, when she sneezes) from her nose and she gets so angry when i wipe it off. i put her down for a morning nap and she just moaned in her sleep and didn't even get a good rest. she's napping well now, thankfully. she is such a sad creature right now.
teeth, please break through so we can have our happy, sweet kawena back!