as many of you read in my last post, i had a lot of unanswered questions.
well, i am back with most all of the answers...
- how will labor start (water breaking, contractions)? it started with irregular contractions monday and some light bleeding.
- how long will it take once it starts? once we arrived at the hospital at 4:30 am the bleeding had increased so they were concerned about the placenta. they did an ultrasound to confirm the location of the placenta. once they were certain the placenta was not in the way they were able to check me for dilation. she checked me and these were her words, "she is completely dilated with bulging bag of waters!" i was still in triage not yet in a delivery room, so they went into full action! if i wasn't in so much pain i would have found it humorous! it was like in the movies! they did an emergency call to the ob delivery wing that they needed a room asap! then they put the rails up on my bed and wheeled me, running through the halls to the delivery room. through all of this, i am going through transition with uncontrollable, full body shakes and contractions all over the place with no consistent pattern. she was born at 6:13 am.
- will i be able to have another drug free labor and delivery? yes! but i didn't really have an option this time!
- will i have the strength to endure the discomfort? barely! when they were concerned about the placenta, as i convulsed from the shakes and contractions on top of each other, for a moment there i thought, "maybe a c-section would be a welcome relief from all this pain!" luckily, the placenta was not a problem, because i now am grateful to not have a cut on my belly that needs extra time to heal!
- will i make it to the hospital in time? thankfully, yes! but it was the closest call that we've had! i was seriously worried about having to give birth in the car on the side of the road!
- will she be early or late? obviously, the answer is early! yippee! i like it when our babies come early! who wouldn't want to be pregnant a shorter amount of time!
- will i have back labor again? unfortunately the answer is a big, fat YES! the little rascal decided she wanted to come out sunny side up! all i can say is OUCH! my midwife said that in her whole career as a midwife she has only delivered about 5 babies that were sunny side up because most of them turn before actually being born! fortunate for me (read: very thick sarcasm!) i have given birth to 2 sunny side babies!! let me just say "OUCH!" again!
- will i bounce back after having her? TBD....so far, it has been slower than the others, but i credit it to the intense back labor and the full body shakes! i am still hopeful that i can bounce back.
- will i ever be thin again? TBD....ha! sure doesn't feel like it! but, again, i am still hopeful!
- will i ever stop itching? a big huge, yeehaw! because it has stopped!
- will i ever be able to sleep again? well, you know how it is! i am able to sleep when she let's me!
- will i ever be able to rock with kawena and cuddle her close on my lap? i did it last night and i loved every minute of it! i'm pretty sure she enjoyed it too because she feel asleep on my lap! heavenly!
- will i ever be able to eat what i want again? YES! i had a cheeseburger at the hospital and pizza my first night home and i am looking forward to all the foods that we have planned for the next week! yum!
- will i ever walk without waddling? still have yet to do that! but, again, i am very hopeful!
- will i ever run again? i sure hope so since the saturday before she was born we set up our new treadmill! i plan to get on it as soon as i feel up to it! that is how i plan to "bounce back" and "be thin" again!
- will i ever see my toes again? i'm lookin' at them right now!
- will i be able to be the mother of four girls? i guess i will have to figure it out! but i am very hopeful!
WHEN WILL SHE ARRIVE???
january 27th, 2009
7 pounds 4 ounces
20 inces long
mommie and baby are doing well and happy to be home!
*beautiful photography courtesy of malia johnson photography