Saturday, December 20, 2008

"he was only as fat as you are..."

today at school, kale'a's class had a visit from santa at their christmas party. she sat on his lap and told him that she wanted a stuffed bear for christmas.

 

she was so excited when i picked her up. she chattered non-stop the whole way home. this was the conversation:

kale'a: "mom, i don't think that was the real santa!"

me: "how come?"

"well, he didn't laugh like santa laughs."

"you could be right! santa is pretty busy this time of year. maybe he sent one of his helpers to pretend to be santa."

"yeah, but he couldn't be one of the elves because the elves are SUPER busy right now! they wouldn't have time!"

 

several hours later, i was working on some christmas presents that i am making and she started up the conversation again about the "fake/helper santa":

 

"mom, do you know how fat santa is?"

"umm, not exactly. i just know he is pretty fat!"

"yeah! he is really fat! that is why i don't think that was the real santa at school today! he wasn't fat enough! he was only as fat as you are!"

a-hem...excuse me??! did she really just say what i think she said? as i chuckle, "oh really? so you think i am fat?"

"well, only because you have the baby in your tummy!" as she touches my belly.

 

good save girly! good save! at least i'm not as fat as the real santa!

18 comments:

Kristi David said...

Aw youth! Charley told me how fat I was when I got out of the shower the other day. I don't have a baby in my tummy . . .

Darilyn said...

You've got to love kids, huh?

Amanda D said...

Kids aren't very good for the self-esteem sometimes, but they are good for a laugh!

Melissa-Mc said...

I think you should post some pictures of that cute pregnant belly of yours.

Bridget said...

Lala needs a lesson from Maren- ladies don't like to be called fat!

jessica said...

I agree with Melissa...I want to see your Santa...I mean baby bump.

Scott-n-Allison said...

Seriously...can we take FAT out of the English language? It just doesn't sound good in any context.

calibosmom said...

Phew! She really saved herself. I think we need to see your faux Santa belly.

Malia said...

Ha! What a crack up! I love her reasoning... what a smart girl... and good save! Love you! Wish you were here!

Michal said...

i had to read it out loud to my family, who all got a kick out of lala's faux pas. i'm sure that your belly is much cuter than santa's.

Becca said...

funny girl, she's no dummy

Lauren in GA said...

That was a good save, indeed. So cute and funny. We went on a walk the other day and I walked out onto the dock by the river we were walking along...it was a floating dock, so when I stepped on there was movement....my 5 year old asked, "Mom, are you sure you aren't too fat to be on here?" Nice.

Anonymous said...

That is too funny! When I was pregnant with Bret he asked me once "Mom--why are you getting so fat." Ryan quikly corrected him, and reminded him about the baby.

Emily said...

So cute! Hey, at least your not as fat as the REAL Santa! I might be already! Do you know what you are having yet? I just got caught up on your blog while we are here in Oregon... wish you were still so we could see you!

Malia said...

Happy New Year!!!! You need to put MJ Photography on your blog list... if you want to that is =) Love you!!!!

Elizabeth Dimit said...

Ha, ha, ha. Love that Lala! Let's see some pictures, girl! Hope you had a wonderful Christmas, and a fabulous New Year! We love and miss you guys!

PS: We got snow again, but it was just a little bit.

Eternal Dancer said...

Children are to honest sometimes, but you have to love them. I hope life is going well for you. I can't wait to see what gender the baby is.

Grace said...

Mahina,

aren't kids wonderful? :) They will say what they feel or think no matter what. I remember when Robbie was about 6 years old. We had a overweight neigbhor walking by our home, she stopped to ask me some questions. Robbie looked at her for the longest time and then blurted out "why are you so fat?" Talk about being embarrassed! I guess it's true. "kids say the darndest things"
I hope you and Mitch and your girls are doing well. Happy New Year