Friday, December 12, 2008

not a pretty sight

could it be that i am getting old, or that i'm pregnant with my fourth child, or that i have three little ones to take care of, or that i am just plain out of shape from not being able to exercise for the last 7 months. whatever the reason, i am sad to say that i waddle. now i know this shouldn't be a big deal, many pregnant ladies waddle late in their pregnancies, i just never was one of them!

 

i was always the cute little pregnant lady that did pregnancy so well! i've always loved being pregnant because it was easy for me. i always exercised up until i delivered the baby. i would run and lift weights and do cycle classes and swim. i was often found in the gym 3 or 4 times each week walking around proudly with my little belly. well, today it took me TWO hours in wal-mart to get a few groceries and some stocking stuffers! two whole hours! it should have taken me a half hour! the old ladies were passing me with their carts!

 

if the waddle wasn't enough, a few days ago as we were leaving to take nani to school i had a little embarrassing and painful "incident", that made the waddle even worse!

 

i was carrying the baby (i really need to stop calling kawena "the baby". she's over two years old, but she will be the baby until we have another one!) out the front door and for some reason i forgot that there was a small step down. of course, i stepped halfway off the step and my knees buckled beneath me.

 

being the good mom that i am, i DID NOT drop the baby to catch myself.  instead, i held tight to her to protect her and sacrificed myself, landing very hard on my knees. this would have been bad in and of itself had it just been the weight of my big pregnant body, but add to that the weight of the baby and we are talking "big time owwwie".

 

the only humor in this story is that i was also holding kawena's stuffed cat in one hand and i apparently dropped it onto the ground during my graceful fall. kawena, in her sad voice said, "meow, meow fall!" to which i responded, "yeah, i know so did mommie!" i'm so glad for my children's loving concern for their mother!

 

since that lovely morning, i don't only waddle, now, i waddle and i limp! let me tell you....it is NOT a pretty sight!!

**note: this is not meant as a complaint of my pregnancy. in fact, i thank Heavenly Father every night for all the aches and pains and difficulties that i am experiencing this pregnancy because it means that i am pregnant!

17 comments:

Kristi David said...

Complain away dear friend!! It's good to vent to friends every now and again (hence my last two blog posts!!). I'm sure you're still as beautiful as ever - waddling can be cute too you know :)
We all know you're very grateful for your new little one so we know it's not a complaint of the pregnancy itself! I hope your knees feel better and that Kawena can kiss them better for you! Good job on saving her on the way down btw . . .
Hang in there - you're one tough cookie!

Ilene said...

I did a similar splat this past pregnancy. It is difficult to compensate for your skewed body weight and so a simple misstep turns into a humiliating flop. Ah, the joys of the journey to get a baby.

Rachel said...

Hummm. . . waddling for the first time. Could that be because this is a different breed of baby? Perhaps one with different parts?

Grace said...

Mahina you are lucky that you didn't waddle till your 4th. I remember waddling with my 1st one and I wasn't that big even!
Sorry to hear about your fall..not fun. When is your baby due again? I forgot. Keep me posted

grace

jessica said...

I totally waddled with my first! the only thing missing from this post was a picture...I want to see a prego Mahina!

Bridget said...

I was never a waddler and have a hard time imagining you waddling! I guess because I always saw you as the cute, gym going pregnant lady. I have had a pregnancy fall and I know how you feel. Its painful and just plain humiliating.

Amanda D said...

I highly doubt that you waddle. I'm quite certain you look adorable, but I know what you feel like, I think!

Malia said...

Awww... tahts too bad. I hope you heal nicely and don't have to limp for too long. I was hoping you would be posting a picture of yourself and belly soon!

ps.. remeber my friend with the twins... she had them! Theres some photos up and her last belly shot! go check em out!

Mandy said...

OUCH!! Please tell me we're not going to have to wait until you give birth to find out the sex... Please!!!
I know I called Mikaila "Baby" up until november 11 now we empathize what a big girl she is. Now if I slip and call her baby she says "no me big girl."

Sarah said...

I am dying to know what it is too. My guess is that your having a boy and surpising everyone!! Ughh! I'm dying here!

Elizabeth Dimit said...

You poor girl! Yes, isn't it lovely when your kids are so concerned about you! You take care of yourself, girl!

Lauren in GA said...

I am so sorry for your poor knees but great job to you for not dropping your baby girl! I chuckled that she was concerned that, "meow, meow fall." Yeah...I guess kids don't realize we as adults can get boo boos too!

Melissa-Mc said...

Ouch. Sounds painful.

I was in a wheelchair for 1 pregnancy and had to use a cane for another. Now, that was embarassing!

Becca said...

it's okay to whine a little and at least you didn't fall on your belly. I have waddled late in pregnancy since Tyler. I hate it! Hang in there. When are you due anyway?

Rich Vial said...

I have always been a little partial to the waddle. So much life behind it! Peace, out!

Sara said...

This story had me LAUGHING! Not because you fell and got hurt of course, but because I'm waddling these days too. You'd think by now that I would remember that simple grocery shopping starts contractions and that sleeping at night becomes an impossible chore, but somehow, I am sadly being reminded of those things these days. Anyway, I'm trying not to complain since we are really not quite ready for this little one's arrival, but what I would give right now for just a few hours "off" from this pregnancy! Oh well, count my blessings right?

Cynthia said...

Hi Mahina! I saw your post on the myfamily.com website and I've been reading your blog off and on ever since. It is great to "see" you again! I recently started a blog: cuteandfunrasmussens.blogspot.com. I linked to yours, hope that's OK! Your girls are absolutely gorgeous, and congrats on baby #4!

Cynthia (Stratford)